Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New to list, need advice on naming repositories.

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New to list, need advice on naming repositories.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:10:03 -0800 (PST)

  > So far here are the concepts I've come up with:
  > [..]

That looks sane.  With experience, you might wind up tweaking
your exact patch flow but I think it is a good idea to start
with a clear conception and tweak it rather than just improvise
and hope to tune up to something coherent.

  > Questions:

  > Am I using too many repositories?

No.  Archives are cheap.  It's good that you identify a few
key archives that are central to your process (e.g., the per-project
archives;  the way those relate to builds and testing) but around
that core I think you should assume that there will be many.

You might want to think about adjusting your backup policies:  if
developers are going to do a lot of day-to-day work in private
archives, perhaps you want to make sure those are backed up and
quickly recoverable.

  > Should each developer have only one repository and keep all their projects
  > in there?

It depends on your staff.   Some hackers would hate that restriction and
it would inhibit them.   Other hackers would just adopt it as a
convenient structure within which to work (and it would simply things
such as backups).

All else being equal, I'd go for policies that give your developers
freedom to structure their own archives however they like.

Maybe a hybrid: each developer can have one "public" archive which
acts like the official interface to that developer's work.  Privately,
developers can be encouraged to also use private archives and to
keep the public one well structured.

  > What kind of training did cvs-oriented people need to start using arch?

I don't think that there is any one answer.  Some CVS users never had
to and so never did think very much about what CVS is doing so they
have a pretty vague idea --- the arch command set is different enough
that I think it can take such users by surprise unless you put it in
the context of learning what a revision control system really does.
Many CVS users, on the other hand, seem able to pick up arch quickly
just from the scattered docs and the wiki.   (Hopefully I'll put out some
new documentation soon, too.)

  > What is the general state of bazaar compared to tla?

I don't know how to measure a project's "general state".