Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New to list, need advice on naming repositories.

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New to list, need advice on naming repositories.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:22:19 -0800 (PST)

   From: address@hidden

   My thought process has been that the process we start with should do all
   it can to preclude a developer from shooting themselves in the foot, and
   provide enough isolation that if they do blow their foot off, there won't
   be any "richochets" that cut down innocent bystanders.  Thus the idea that
   each developer would have a totally separate archive for each project they
   are involved in.

Even after you're further along I'll bet you want to give developers
their own sandboxes.  I find it convenient to create lots of archives,
personally, as a way to explore some tangential line of thought without
making the commitment of making a mess in my more public archives.

   Around here, it seems the more experienced somebody here is with cvs, the
   more ready they are for arch.  I think I get more pushback from people who
   haven't had to deal with large projects and multiple branches in cvs.

For a lot of people, I think, revision control is *nothing more* than
an extra step you have to remember to take when saving files -- plus
the command you cut and paste to run to get the tree you're supposed to
work on.

Of those people, the ones with no curiosity about revision control
and a stubborn focus on just "getting their job done" are the ones
most likely to put up a hissy fit about the arch command set.

That isn't to say the command set has matured into a strick instrument
of graceful beauty -- it's pretty rough in some ways.  (we're working on it).
It's just that if a user is stubbornly in the mindset of wanting to
think as little as possible about revision control (usually for very
good reasons) -- that user will have a hard time learning arch.

   At the beginning, I expect to just give most developers a one-page cheat
   sheet that tells them how to commit in their own archive and how to
   star-merge from the project archive.  Project leads will get trained on
   how to star-merge from the developer's archives.  Myself and another
   person will handle pulling projects into a "next release" repository.

That's similar to the docs i'm trying to crank over the next few days...
Stay tuned.

The wiki also has a reputation as a very effective resource for new
arch users.   The IRC channel is a good place to get pointed at the wiki,
*sometimes* even with a hint about which page to look at.