Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New to list, need advice on naming repositories.

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New to list, need advice on naming repositories.
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:59:52 +0100

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 13:04 -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> At the beginning, I expect to just give most developers a one-page cheat
> sheet that tells them how to commit in their own archive and how to
> star-merge from the project archive.  Project leads will get trained on
> how to star-merge from the developer's archives.  Myself and another
> person will handle pulling projects into a "next release" repository.

Also, the initial setup can be quite tedious and confusing depending on
the amount of infrastructure you need:

      * registering archives
      * policy on naming and location of new archives
      * revision libraries on workstations (pretty much obligatory)
      * remote and local archive mirrors (may or may not be needed,
        depending on individual needs)
      * signing rules (probably not needed if you are not distributed
        geographically)
      * pqm user tools and mail system setup (if you decide to use pqm)

You should probably get a clear ideas of what are your precise needs in
terms of initial setup and provide at least a "getting started" cheat
sheet, and at best a set of scripts, so your users won't start by
getting frustrated.

One important thing: emphasise that users should never "remove an
existing archive or branch and start from scratch". That's a very common
mistake made by new users and it leads to hell because it breaks the
model and causes cache coherence problems that can lead to corrupted
data.

--
                                                            -- ddaa