Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:00:44 +0200

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 09:13 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> Filtering by category and branch will always be useful. Otherwise why you
> would want to use a/c-b-v namespace in the first place?

Because it looked like a good idea at the time.

Matching "project--main--" and "project--maintenance--" with
"project--ma" might not be useful, but matching "project-doc--main" and
"project--main" with "project" is useful.

> It is only the
> question whether such filtering should be done in individual frontends or
> in baz. I think the second, like it is done now.

In my perspective, the question is whether explicit support in baz is:

      * necessary: no, since the desired effect can me achieved by
        matching with "category--"
      * or desirable: no, since explicit support for c-b-v causes UI
        clutter and confusing terminology (what's a branch? what's a
        version?)

> Anyway, I think abrowse should not be obsoleted for several months if you
> remove the concept of category and branch in the new browse command.

Since you seem to feel strongly about it, I think abrowse could stay
around for a little while, as a "compatibility" command. Notwithstanding
renaming of rbrowse to browse, and the others changes that have been
discussed here.

There might also be issues of additional maintenance burden (abrowse is
reportedly an unmaintainable mess), but that's up to you and Matthieu to
discuss.
--
                                                            -- ddaa