[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:55:00 +0000

On 01 Aug 2005 12:23:16 +0200, Matthieu MOY wrote:

> There are use-cases for every options, yes. Now here's another use case: I
> have a project, say "bazaar", with some work on version 1.4 and some other
> work on 1.5 (many micro-branches). I want to get the list of what I've
> done in 1.5. No way to do this with --categories, --branches, --versions
> or any kind of string search. Shall we add another option for my use-case?

This use case is more than reasonable, I would not mind to support it.
In fact, archzoom supports it in different ways, using a transposed view
and when string like bazaar--*--1.5 is specified in url.

> What's the problem here? It's just that baz forced me to list versions
> inside branches, and branches inside categories. I would like to have done
> the opposite. The c--b--v namespace is just adapted to one use-case, and
> forced the rest of the world to use the same schema.

I think we are on the same page.

> My suggestion would be to add the ability to "baz categories", "baz
> branches" and "baz versions" to take an "a", "a/c" or "a/c--b" argument.
> This way, people who want to use the c--b--v namespace could do so with
> those commands, and the rest of the world can simply ignore them.

Maybe. Like many here I go forth and back about a/c--b--v namespace.
I still think it is useful in many cases and actually simplifies the
work flow. Once you drop the support for it, you can't easily create
systems that make use of it.

> >> means the string match will match only one version, which is rather
> >> useless for rbrowse.
> >
> > I don't agree that limit that is version is generally useless.
>
> Then, what would be the difference with "revisions" ?

Consistency probably. Currently "abrowse" is a superset of "categories",
"branches", "versions", "revisions". The same may be valid for "browse".

Regards,
Mikhael.