[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Matthieu MOY
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:45:46 +0200 (CEST)

martin f krafft said:

> Another thing I am completely missing from baz is better/more
> flexibly/scalable hook support.

That's very hard to do in a secure way: baz hooks are arbitrary code, and
have to be ran on the client since there's no real server. And I don't
want arbitrary code to be executed on my machine when I run baz ...

pqm is a solution. arch-trigger is another one.

I don't know how bzr can handle this. If there's support for sandboxing in
Python, the plugin system of bzr can probably implement this in an elegant
and secure way.

> E.g. if I may assume that the variables $CATEGORY/$BRANCH/$VERSION
> hold the data for the current checkout, I would like to be able to
> store in the archive the desire that ./debian should always be
> populated with debian-dir--$CATEGORY--$VERSION. Now, doing an update
> in the root should also update such child checkouts.

in bazaar 1.5, baz build-config --update is not far from what you're
looking for. baz build-config without --update will do a "baz switch" to
the version specified in the config file. Not yet perfect, but better than
1.4 IMHO.

> This did read August 2005 at one point in time. :)

I prefer bzr to take its time and provide something really good than hurry
and release a half finished stable version soon ;-).

--
Matthieu