[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:20:28 +0100

Martin Langhoff <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 8/23/05, Magnus Therning <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It is however a quite common use case, especially among Linux kernel
>> developers:
>
> yes, but it's done in StGIT, not GIT (before I'd have said: it's done
> in quilt, not BK). StGIT is a patch-manager that is very adept at
> that. It makes no pretense of keeping track of a project history. It
> keeps track of a stack of patches that are very malleable -- you can
> edit _the patch_ without recommitting. I think it keeps some history
> of your edits of the patch even, but I may be wrong about that.

I used to preserve all the history of a patch but realised that the
repository would be left with a lot of meaningless commits since
people tend to save a patch without it being in a stable stage (maybe
only to go back and forth between different patches).

Somebody proposed a 'freeze' command and that only the frozen states
of a patch should be preserved in a history. This makes a lot of sense
but there are some ongoing discussions about how it is best to achieve
this (since this history shouldn't probably be visible to somebody
pulling the latest changes from your repository).

--
Catalin