[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:42:35 +0000 (UTC)

Jan Hudec <bulb <at> ucw.cz> writes:
> I believe in some discussion before writing git, Linus actually requested
> that is should be ok to delete it and complained, that in monotone it was not
> easily possible (because of the shared storage).

It isn't much harder to delete things in monotone than git -- you never
have to pull anything you don't want, and you can delete any local revisions
you pulled by accident...

There are differences in their branching models that make it a little less
_obvious_ that this is true -- in particular, related to the way that
monotone makes it possible and normal to have multiple-committer branches,
which isn't really something that's natural in branch = repo systems.  I
_think_ this is what Linus was referring to.  Because it's possible for
branches to be shared, you have to take a bit more care when setting them
up if you _do_ want them not to be kept separate.

It's also true that the convention, like for arch, is more to save-and-ignore
than delete-and-forget, but that's culture...

  -- Nathaniel