Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users

From: Milan Cvetkovic
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: The future of GNU Arch users
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:24:51 -0400

Matthieu Moy wrote:
> Milan Cvetkovic <address@hidden> writes:
>

>>Can you elaborate on this feature a little bit?
>

> http://www.sourcecontrol.net/
>

>>How does it work, and how does it allow me to host an archive at my
>>ISP who provides me with some ftp/http storage?
>

> It doesn't allow you to host an archive at your provider. It IS a
> provider (of archives hosting).

Well, this is not exactly the same as a file storage provided by an ISP
via ftp protocol. Assuming ISP lets me store any file, I can store
archives of proprietary software, without exposing the ISP to any legal
consequences... Also, I can use multiple ISPs, without having to worry
that my data will stop being available.

To be honest, tla also has deficiencies with this dumb file server
approach, due to file names starting with ".", and ISP providers
forbidding files starting with ".", or "not being with a valid
extension" ... It would also be nice to be able to encrypt the content
of the archives, but that is another story.

In perfect world, the "supermirror" is probably good for OSS, but not
for everyone. Dumb file storage for the archives, sounds far more
exciting to me, and cannot be "replaced" by sourcecontrol.net.

Thanks, Milan.

Thanks, Milan.