[Gnu-arch-users] putting pieces together

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] putting pieces together
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:29:29 -0800

  I have put together a partial blueprint for a software system
  and would like to begin sharing it around a bit.

  At core, the new system is a server -- a web service -- implementing
  a kind of virtual cluster.  When a user logs in he is assigned a
  private virtual cluster that boots the operating system of his
  choice (not Windows or Linux -- operating systems written for this
  particular virtual architecture).  He is given a (transactional) file
  systems to use and it's there he can install and uninstall various
  kernels, application binaries, personal files, and so on.

  Of course there is a default OS which provides a file browser
  and simple applications for web-based email, spreadsheets,
  calendar program, personal information database, and a few
  others.

  There are lots of ways to imagine building such a service.  I've
  found a particularly elegant way.

        http://www.seyza.com/the-party/intro.html