[Gnu-arch-users] the behavior of tla get

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] the behavior of tla get
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:48:36 -0800

Hi all,
Right now "tla get" can run into two problems:
1, if there is no revlib, tla will get the nearest cacherev and patch on; ignoring the possibility of having some earlier local version;

2, if there is a revlib, but does not contain any useful info, tla will go all the way back to the import or the first tag into this archive and patch on. Ignoring the existance of some cacherev in the middle.

Neither one is very great. It would be better if there is a way to trade off between local cache (revlib) or remote cache (cacherev), by some user customizable parameter.

I have made a rather simple heuristic:
A patch has a cost of 1; a full cacherev has a cost of eg. 50. The client can search backward to find out the minimum cost to get a revision.

I get it mostly working, except for the case of greedy but not sparse revlib. Any comments?
Right now I have my parameter hard coded. Obviously we want this number customizable. Where should we put it? Maybe a file like

{arch}/=cacherev_penalty or something?
Derek