RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: RE: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:17:34 -0800

Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> Anyway, if you do not use unix groups and are proud of it, it is fine
> with me, however there are people who do use them. :)

I do use unix group, just not using it to do concurrent authoring. I use
revision control tools (such as gnu arch) to do that.

> So, returning to
> the original message, it would be, for example, a bug for tla
> to create
> a pristine in /tmp and then move it (not copy) to the project tree.

And I am not doing it. If you can make sure all your dirs have g+s, then
check out a copy in /tmp, tar it, and untar it in a g+s dir, everything
still has the right gid, every dir still g+s, right?
This is exactly what cacherev is doing.

> You are welcome to show a single case when umask 2/7 gives
> less privacy
> than 22/77. Yes, every user has its own group that is his
> default group.

no assurance that my commit contains only my changes, for one.
no assurance that my personal group contains only me, for two.
There is no absolute privacy, but umaks 002 certainly lower privacy
level.

> Regards,
> Mikhael.

Derek