Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:19:16 +0000

On 20 Nov 2005 12:11:28 -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:

> > My point was for project directories configured for multiple developers.
>
> Isn't that against the very spirit of revision control?

Nope, these are more or less orthogonal concepts. Once you have more than
one user in the system you may want (or may not) to group them. So that
each of several developers could issue "tla get" or "tla update" to bring
the organization home page, or "tla archive-mirror", or "tla library-add"
on shared libraries. Or maybe even "tla commit", if one developer takes
over another one.

> It looks like s bit will only enforce gid, but not group permission,
> which is determined by umask.

Yes, this scenario is useless without umask 2 or 7 everywhere.

> tar can not preserve pid/gid, but only permissions.

This description is not very accurate. tar stores user/group info and may
extract it (if executed as root). But this is not very important here,
since we work as normal user. The important thing is tar honors 's' bit
of the parent directory, like any other non-buggy program.

> Anyway, cacherev does not has to be invoked from a checked out tree, and
> it just blindly wrote to ".", which may not even be writable. That was a
> serious bug.

True, in this specific case.

Regards,
Mikhael.