Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: clean up some cacherev mess

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: clean up some cacherev mess
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:55:27 +0000

On 20 Nov 2005 17:09:08 -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:

> Periodical updating sth? this looks like a cron job for me. Never let a
> human (or even worse, a group of human) to do a machine's job.

You mix an automatic work with a human work. Not everything may be solved
(or rather is somehow easier) using cronjob. It is a _human_ decision
whether to "tla replay" the home page to HEAD or to some tagged revision.

> Multiple people commiting from the same dir? I just fail to apreciate
> this concept.

It seems you never had a non-secondary worker going to a vacation. :)
Or you just grant everyone the root password, that should be a much
better concept, of course.

> Shared working space? chmod g+s on the project dir? Make sure everybody
> have the same umask and that is 002 or 007?
> Are you actually doing all of these, with tla?

Sure, all my projects do this, with tla or cvs. This does not necessarily
mean people work on the shared project tree, or shared archive, but since
umask is always 2, there is a ready-to-use option for one or another.

> It looks like your setup is very delicate, and can be screwed up by lots
> of different way. For example, if one of your guys check out a tree in a
> non g+s dir, make some changes and commit, then you have the same amount
> of trouble.

Now, this (fixing permissions of files and dirs) is something that is
easy to automate by a manual script (or commit hook), but it is rarely
needed in a properly configured system.

Regards,
Mikhael.