Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RE: recent changes

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RE: recent changes
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:25:38 -0600

Derek Zhou wrote:
> Some of us have to make do with nfs mounted home directory, while system
> reboot is infrequent (a few weeks). In this case, revlib under /tmp is
> the best I can think of.
> Derek

Well, on newer Redhat machines, it runs a cleanup program. Any file
which hasn't been touched within the last 2 weeks is deleted.
So it doesn't even require a reboot to cause problems. The really
dangerous part is that it might delete some of the files, but not all of
them. It was a really weird case, but it is another reason why /tmp
isn't great.

I would tend to make the default:
~/.arch-params/revision-library

Because that is inside the arch controlled directories, rather than
creating a new one.

Certainly we still have issues with NFS home directories. Not to mention
that a revision library grows without bounds unless it is periodically
pruned.

All of this is why revlibs weren't defaulted to on. They have enough
issues that it was considered more important that people would read
about them, and use them according to their situation.

Possibly a better default could be figured out, though.

John
=:->