Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: recent changes

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: recent changes
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:34:06 +0000

On 21 Nov 2005 10:05:57 -0800, Derek Zhou wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
>
> > Also, I always limit cache of mozilla or gimp to something like 25Mb.
> > Do you mean mozilla should store _every_ page or multimedia it
> > downloaded in $HOME or /tmp? This would be pretty silly. If my disk
> > is often full or most of my archives are local, why should I need the
> > greedy revlib?
>
> This is a very good suggestion. I think in the future tla should be told
> to limit the size of a revlib to a user specified number.

Well, if you want this functionality now, you may run this from cronjob:

  axp revlib prune --size 200Mb

(Try "axp revlib prune --help" for more policies.)

> > The account I am writting from has hard limit of 5000 files per user.
> > Still I manage to host here about 10 projects using "tla
> > replay" (mostly home pages) that use 2000 files.
>
> So 2000 files for the projects, 2000 for the pristine copies. You
> effectively have a quota of 1000 to do eveything else.

Not quite. 2000 files without pristines; you don't need pristine for pure
replay. If I would have pristines, my quota of 5000 files was long over,
because tla has a bug to not advance pristine on either changes or
update, i.e. you may easily end up with many pristines per tree.

> Cannot even compile tla.

I did it in /tmp, but don't tell to sysadmins. :)

> Also if your email client stores one email per file (at least kmail
> does that) ...

Nope, my mailer/procmail is not that brain-dead, one file per one list.

Regards,
Mikhael.