Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get

From: Michael Poole
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get
Date: 05 Dec 2005 21:09:58 -0500

Mikhael Goikhman writes:

> This would be insane. You suggest that whenever someone requests a tree
> of 1000 files, 10Mb, tla should create million of files occupying 10Gb.
> [This is optimistic, since just nodes alone of typical 4Kb occupy 4Gb.]

Wow!  How many 1000-file, 10 MB projects have millions of file
revisions in a single category--branch--version _with no cacherevs_?
It sounds like a great example that could be used for evangelism and
demonstrating GNU Arch's scalability!

(I cannot think of any.  If you did not mean the numbers literally,
perhaps you should not have picked such an outrageously inflated
example.  It makes it hard to take your argument seriously, especially
when you claim that's a conservative estimate.)

Michael Poole