[Gnu-arch-users] Storage efficiency of revlibs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Storage efficiency of revlibs
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:34:40 +0100

Hi,

Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:

> This would be insane. You suggest that whenever someone requests a tree
> of 1000 files, 10Mb, tla should create million of files occupying 10Gb.
> [This is optimistic, since just nodes alone of typical 4Kb occupy 4Gb.]

I just discovered the `-l' option of `du' as available in GNU Coreutils,
so I wanted to share my experience.  ;-) Here's what I observe on my
revlib:

  $ du -msl /home/ludo/\{arch-revlib\}/
  1063    /home/ludo/{arch-revlib}/
  $ du -ms /home/ludo/\{arch-revlib\}/
  228     /home/ludo/{arch-revlib}/

IOW, the use of hard links yields a compression ratio of 4 (!).

Thanks,
Ludovic.