[Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic remove the corrupt revlib revision

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic remove the corrupt revlib revision
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:08:53 -0500

Ludovic> I agree as well.  The "sporadic unexpected
Ludovic> backup/restore" configuration which Matthieu described is
Ludovic> probably not a very common case.  As such, it is not
Ludovic> enough to motivate automatic deletion and recreation of
Ludovic> revision libraries, IMO.

> This is the same mistake Derek makes in reverse.

> You see, *it already has motivated it, twice.* I don't recall whether
> Matthieu said he had a script or whether he just says "oh gawd, not
> again," and rebuilds the revlibs, but it's just as automatic as a
> script.  Derek went to the trouble of writing and submitting a patch.
> Their environments are not going to wake up and say "it got better"
> someday.  That's pretty strong motivation, I think.

But IIUC rather than removing the revlib, it would be better to re-snap the
inodes because the revlib hasn't actually been corrupted.  Right?
So we could have our cake and eat it too: repair the "corrupted" revlib
automatically and yet never do an "rm -rf" without the user's
explicit consent.

        Stefan