Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 23:35:00 +0000

On 07 Dec 2005 17:44:45 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> I have misunderstood, sorry.  But now I don't see why this situation
> you're describing is any different from the one we have now (except
> that now those files are in a pristine rather than in a revlib).
>
> > You claim (quoted) that manual setup of such massive structure as revlib
> > is not needed and tla may perform it automatically.
>
> Yes.  Even without any revlib or pristine, the checked out tree will have
> those 1000 files as well.

It is not a problem to always have 1000 files (or twice of it) if this is
the project size. But it is a real problem to always suddently get
1,000,000 files after N tla operations. [I hope you can find N yourself.]

> > tla may expect that the tree directory is the most efficient place,
> > otherwise a user would choose another filesystem to hack.
>
> Huh?  Have you ever lived at a place where all HOMEs are on NFS?

I didn't claim you should hack in $HOME. Better do it in /data/projects/.

Anyway, I support adding interactive "tla setup" command and having it as
the first command in all tutorials (instead of my-id). But I can't love a
software (any) that allocates massive ever-growing cache without asking.

Regards,
Mikhael.