Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:34:43 +0100

Hi,

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The ones I tried at first all used recency to decide what to delete.

In fact, `tla-prune-revlib' in `tla-tools' (by Miles Bader) is slightly
more sophisticated than this.  It allows the combination of several
heuristics:

  --min-age=NDAYS          Do not prune revisions less than NDAYS days old
                           (default 10)
  --keep-new-revs=NREVS    Do not prune the newest NREVS revisions (default 2)
  --keep-old-revs=NREVS    Do not prune the oldest NREVS revisions (default 2)

BTW, such revlib pruning is _policy_.  I think tla should remain
policy-neutral, as it has always been.  If such a mechanism was to be
inserted into tla itself, it should not be made compulsory.  Even
discussions about what the _default_ behavior should be are likely to
end up in endless trolls.  Therefore, my guess is: by default, do
nothing.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.