Re: [Gnu-arch-users] On incompetent uses of English

From: Christopher Dale
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] On incompetent uses of English
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:09:58 +0900

I just *knew* that there was a reason to stay on this list!

Consider your Captain amused!

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
"Ludovic" == Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:

    Ludovic> First we, non-native speakers, did not *choose* the use
    Ludovic> of English to communicate on these mailing lists (at
    Ludovic> least I didn't).

That is correct.  Nobody disagrees.

It only seems like people do because it's in the context of a troll.

1. Alfred accused me of not being nice.

   Guilty as charged.

2. Alfred then proceeded to imply that since being nice is so
   important (otherwise people will stop contributing patches), I must
   really want to be nice.  Thus, I must have expressed myself poorly.

   False.  I said exactly what I meant.  It was partly false in fact
   (as Andy Tai pointed out, no decision had been made, so the process
   is not sufficiently flawed that it is "revolting").  However, I was
   revolted, and Tom was being ignored by a frequent poster.  (The OP
   still has not responded to Tom's criticisms.)  So my post was
   precise and accurate, and the technical points I made seem to be
   standing up to criticism from third parties.

3. Having totally failed so far, and for some reason being
   uninterested in discussing the technical issues, Alfred proceeded
   to an overt troll, and accused me of being linguistically
   incompetent, especially in the context of an international list
   with many non-native speakers.

   It's certainly true that I utterly failed to communicate sarcasm.
   That's because I intended none.

In the context of a deliberate attempt to warp discussion, Alfred
threw in the irrelevant issue of non-native speakers.  The nature of a
successful troll is that people respond to the troll rather than the
content, thus allowing the troll to innocently say "and so you
criticize the non-native speakers?" etc, etc.

A good time is had by all.  Have A Nice Day.

--

yrs k, etc.

Chris