Re: [Gnu-arch-users] On incompetent uses of English

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] On incompetent uses of English
Date: 09 Dec 2005 10:13:30 -0800

Robert Collins <address@hidden> writes:

> In arch 1 'resnapping' the inode signature is definately doable, if you
> care to. In the simplest form just store the {hash of choice} in the
> index file for the revision, and consult that to determine if content
> has changed. Oh and store the permissions for the files and reapply
> those. Oh, and there are a couple more little gotchas but nothing
> insurmountable.

Resnapping is certainly doable, but not easy. To make resnapping safe,
you need to hash _everything_, not just file contents, but also
permissions, directories (including empty ones), and symbolic
links. AFAIK arch 1 is in maintainance mode, and this look like not
a trivial thing to do and may introduce many bugs. The idea of my
patch is if it is slow anyway, at least we can automate the
slowness. I have no objection to move the stale revlib entries out of
the way but not "rm -rf" it though.

Derek