Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] file system interface to a database
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:15:57 -0600

Andy Tai wrote:
> Hi, this is a topic I am not familiar with so advices from knowledgeable
> people are appreciated... what is the feasibility of implementing a file
> system interface (kind of like the file system interface to a remote
> sites via http or ftp inside tla) on top of a local database, be it a
> SQL  one (like Sqlite) or a Berkeley DB one, such that good performance
> can still be achieved... Are there already libraries that help
> implementing such things?    Pointers would be great... thanks!
>
> Andy

I worked on creating a virtual filesystem (hackerlab vu layer) for both
zip files, and for an sqlite database. I don't know that I got very far
with the sqlite database.

But here is my older archive:
http://arch.arbash-meinel.com/address@hidden/

There should be a package in dists, but I don't see the right one offhand.
I'm sure there is hackerlab--zip, and tla--zip.
As well as libzip.

I believe libzip contains the implementation of the vu-zip filesystem.

In general, writing a virtual filesystem wasn't terribly hard. The
hardest part was handling the fact that tla wants atomic rename, but
that isn't possible in a zip file. (*especially* if you are renaming
between zip files).

I guess that was the hard part in general. There were a lot of places in
the tla code where it expected everything to be on the same filesystem.

Oh, while browsing it, I found 'libarchdb' and 'arch-db'.
Which was some of the sqlite work that I did. It doesn't really
implement a pure fs layer, but it was an attempt to move the logs into a
database rather than having them in the local filesystem.

John
=:->