Re: [Gnu-arch-users] doc formats

From: Mark Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] doc formats
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:13:55 -0600

On 2006.01.19 10:53, Thomas Lord wrote:

[...]

I also observe that for technical documentation thevariety of mark-up needed is almost always quitesmall. One wants to be able to say (with mark-up)
"this section documents a function named FOO" and
a few things like that.   One wants stress, emphasis,
lists, simple footnotes, simple tables, sections, chapters
...  Perhaps the runners up are mathematical notationsand simple diagrams.

[...]

This problem -- how to mark-up technical docs -- has been around
and annoying for decades with many half-baked solutions being
generated and used as a stop-gap.  The amount of effort that has
been spent on and working around half-baked solutions seems to me
to be many multiples of what it would take to do right. Thetechnology I'm describing to solve the problem has many interesting
applications.

Heaven forbid that we'd use DocBook (http://docbook.sourceforge.net/). Or LyX (http://www.lyx.org/). Or even TeXmacs (http://www.texmacs.org/), for crying out loud.

Reinvent the wheel; that's the ticket. I thought that I was reading comp.lang.forth for a minute.