Re: [Gnu-arch-users] doc formats

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] doc formats
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:07:37 -0600

Matthew Hannigan wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 08:53:28AM -0800, Thomas Lord wrote:
>
>>[ .. ]
>>So I advise:
>>
>>     1. Make the source form and plain text form
>>        the same.   Writers can make the plain text
>>        look nice by hand.
>>[ .. ]
>

> I really like this.  In fact I've had it rolling around
> in my head for a while as 'markless markup language'.
>
> If you have strong conventions on the plain text it
> could be sensibly parsed.
>
> Matt

You might look into reStructuredText.
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

It is not a perfect documentation syntax. But it does look decent in
text form, and can be parsed into html, latex, or xml.
It doesn't have a parser into info or man, though it shouldn't be hard
to write one. (If only by going through XML).

It was brought up a long time ago, and some people felt that *it* was
reinventing the wheel. But it is what I use when I don't want to break
out LaTeX for a paper.

John
=:->