[Gnu-arch-users] why *I* am here

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] why *I* am here
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:40:05 -0800

I asked "why are we here?"

I think the main reason I am here is because I strongly
wish to spend long hours taking my time (but remaining
focused and hard-working) to create really high quality
software with a special emphasis on the things that I
know are possible -- but just a little beyond the horizon
of what can easily be done in conventional ways.

I don't think that that goal can be separated from the
free software movement in general but I don't think the
two are equivalent, either.   I have nothing to say *against*
the moral arguments for free software -- I just think that
there are *also* arguments for it that relate to socially
responsible and high quality engineering.

I was sincere in posing the question.   Perhaps if a few
others respond we can begin to, anarchically, pick a direction.

-t

p.s.: my notion of the ideal of "long hours" is very much
subordinate to family-and-friends considerations.  I work
in support of those things, not the other way around.