[Gnu-arch-users] horses and carts

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] horses and carts
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:08:25 -0800

Andy:

> Yes, there is much more potential in wiring up more horses, but in a
> way that is up to you... for example, for the documentation part,
> whether the efforts should be spent on the 2.0 version or the 1.x
> version.

I hope to have good reason to follow up more fully to your
comments later.   I appreciate the respect.

I don't want to declare what I think is right at this juncture.
I'd rather learn a bit more about what people want from this.

The key thing is that, as a public project, this is a volunteer
effort.   If I have any place at all it certainly has a lot to
do with organizing people to help them better achieve the aims
they have in common rather than organizing them achieve my own
aims.   I'm subject to quite justifiable criticism for my
conduct in past years of this project from that perspective.
(This is not to say my own aims are not relevant.)

I advocate anarchy in this context but anarchy is not allergic to
organizing techniques borrowed from management.   I'd like to hear more
perspectives on the "why are we here" question.

So far, most of what I have by way of answer to what people think
of that question is that many people think my job as maintainer
was to make the project look more like (in superficial terms)
the handful of projects that are well supported by corporations.
(I'm not putting your answer in that category and there are other
exceptions on the list -- that's just the bulk of a lot of the
criticisms I got over the years.)