Re: [Gnu-arch-users] horses and carts

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] horses and carts
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:53:23 +0100

Hi,

Andy Tai <address@hidden> writes:

> It is just a name and should not cause any problem.

Although I perfectly understand your reasons, I do understand as well
why names can cause problems.  Think of "Linux", "Tom Lord's Arch",
"David's advanced revision control system", "ReiserFS", etc.  Such names
give the impression that the project they designate is closely tight to
a single person.

Other project names (e.g., "GNU", "Guile", "Hurd", etc.) make people
think of a vision, or at least of some goal, and that looks more
federalizing.  Likewise, `sv.gnu.org' is at first sight perceived as
hosting for the community, while `atai.org' is naturally perceived as
Andy Tai's website[*].

But of course, good neutral names are not enough.  ;-)

Thanks,
Ludovic.

[*] Just to be clear: I personally don't mind the archive name given
    that you're doing IMO a good job as a maintainer and I'm confident
    that just because it is "your" archive doesn't mean that you're
    gonna lock things down.  But I understand Miles' reluctance.  ;-)