Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why are we here?

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why are we here?
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:53:46 -0800

Tom, it is much easier to hook few mind-alike horses together and make them move rather than tying many together to get them move  in the same direction.  So in light of the shortcomings of the current implementation that even you agree with (such as for the storage format that you now think the git approach is more correct) my goal of keeping Arch 1 alive is an rather easy task.

Yes, there is much more potential in wiring up more horses, but in a way that is up to you... for example, for the documentation part, whether the efforts should be spent on the 2.0 version or the 1.x version.

And if there are new volunteers, what do they do?  Work on 2.0?

If you want to see a push for 2.0, you may need to be more active in advancing the 2.0 implementation further to make it easier for other people to contribute.  You did that for 1.x so it become easy for other people to contribute, to take it and run (and fork... etc.)

Also the horses will always run in different directions, and you cannot expect them to run all in one direction.  The best thing is that you can extract maximum energy from the horses on the direction you want to go; but you always need to expect degrees of chaos.

So the question really needs to be partly answered by you, and you need to make it share much in common with the purposes of the people with all different kinds of goals as you listed.