Re: [off] Quantity of Spam

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [off] Quantity of Spam
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:54:07 +0200

* Mike Woolley:

>> Our sysadmins say we already have spam filtering on the mailing list
>> and that it does discard many spam messages.  The problem is that
>> spammers are learning how to defeat SpamAssassin.  I will suggest
>> some other ideas.
>
> How about moving g.e.s to be a moderated list?

There's also a newsgroup (with a bidirectional gateway).  In practice,
it's not possible to change the group status to moderated. 8-(

> Doing so could also be used to eliminate that other scourge of recent
> times on this list, non-source postings...

Restricting posting to subscribers could be a first step.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, hotmail.com, jumpy.it,