Re: pabbrev.el

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: pabbrev.el
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:38:41 +0900

Toby Cubitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Auto-completion-mode is only useful when the function finding the
> completions can return results within a few tenths of a second
> (i.e. faster than your typing speed). Dabbrev was never designed to be
> that fast.

Hm, then this probably shouldn't be the first example on the wiki. Or it
will fear away new users.

> The only completion functions I'm aware of that were designed to be fast
> enough are those in the predictive-mode and pabbrev packages. Perhaps
> this is because auto-completion makes most sense when the completion is
> predictive.

pabbrev is really very fast and impressive ! And its interface is nice,
SPC as normal, TAB for completing/cycling candicates. This way pabbrev
does its best not to interfere normal typing.

In contrast, in predictive-mode, SPC does the completing, which makes it
rather diffcult for blindly typing, i.e., fast typing.

--
William