Re: xabcd.el --- convert raw bytes to the X'ABCD' notation and back

From: florian
Subject: Re: xabcd.el --- convert raw bytes to the X'ABCD' notation and back
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry, 4 lines in the last function have been folded with hard breaks
unintentionally - I hope this turns out right:

(defun xabcd-to-file (xabcd-string filename &optional silently
mustbenew)
  "Convert XABCD-STRING back to its bytes and write them to FILENAME.
If SILENTLY is t, don\'t emit the \"Wrote ... \" message.
MUSTBENEW is passed to `write-region', which see."
  (let
      ((coding-system-for-write 'no-conversion)
        (silently (if silently 'silence nil))) ; 'silence: neither t
nor nil nor a string
    (write-region
     (xabcd-to-byte-string xabcd-string) ; START (a string)
     nil                                 ; END (ignored when START is
a string)
     filename                            ; FILENAME
     nil                                 ; APPEND (seems an unlikely
idea)
     silently                            ; VISIT (neither t nor nil
nor a string: no message)
     nil                                 ; LOCKNAME
     mustbenew)))                        ; MUSTBENEW

To my embarassment, I do not know what my news server is, so I am
using the Google interface, which is why my browser got the
opportunity to insert these line breaks. I am aware this is definitely
lacking style, sorry!