Re: [GNU-linux-libre] more http://libreplanet.org/wiki?title=NONFSDG stu

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] more http://libreplanet.org/wiki?title=NONFSDG stuff
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:36:23 +0200

Santiago Rodríguez wrote:
I think there are two types of recommended fixes, ones that are just
recomendations, and true fixes made upstream and  that eliminates any
license problems.

There are 3 types of fixes (in order of preference):

1) Upgrade version (if fixed upstream).
2) Patch current version in the distro.
3) Remove package from distro.

Which is the right fix is up to the distro maintainer(s) to decide. If (1) is not available then the other options are not _just_ recommendations, because a distro can only be called fully free if there is a commitment to fix all freedom bugs. "Recommended fix" in the lists context means "recommended of the 3 available options", not "it would be nice if this was fixed".

IMHO, we must remark software that was corrected upstream, indicating from
wich versions is fully free so there is no doubt.

Which I believe is what we do already. For fpc it says "2.2.2 is required to make sure it's free". Seems pretty clear to me.

I'm afraid I fail to see your point. If you think we should change something, could you perhaps clarify yourself with an example?