Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 11:14:58 -0500

    It's so clean and general that it's already implemented in git.  It's
    called  git filter-branch , in the way you stated,

Maybe it is.  What does filter-branch do?

Where does it store the correspondence table?

     or  git rebase , for
    a more manual implementation (maybe good to create an initial mapping).

Based on your definition of rebase, it can't be the same operation,
because rebase and my transformation produce different kinds of graphs.

So I wonder if there is a miscommunication occurring.

    What git misses is means to restore compatibility between the original
    and the rewritten branch.

My proposal does that automatically.  If filter-branch doesn't do that,
I think that implies filter-branch is not the same thing.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation