Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:44:47 -0500

    For better interoperability, so that it's not harder for us to use third
    parties' branches, and so that we don't run into difficulties when
    interoperating (say contributing patches) to third parties who don't use
    our branch.

The need to run a special command to interconvert is not a difficulty,
just an inconvenience.  Sure, it would be nicer to have git itself
handle this, but that's not crucial.

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that once we have converted the repository,
plain rebase will work to interconvert all changes that don't alter
blobs.

I think nearly all such changes from now on will be deletion of the
blob.  So that is the case we need to think about handling well.  When
converting into our repository, that hunk will turn into a no-op; it
will be "already applied".  We may have to explicitly specify how to
merge it, just as we do for the old change that installed the blob.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation