Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] The "Free" Kernel In Debian Squeeze
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 13:43:19 -0500

    It means git pull (the preferred way to bring in changes from a remote
    repository) or merge (the preferred way to bring in changes from a local
    branch, which may be a clone of a remote branch) ought to be able to use
    these equivalences, instead of regarding the commits as unrelated.

With the transformation operation I proposed, which perhaps can be
built on the rebase operation (I proposed how), you would be able to
move changes in either direction between our history and Torvalds'
history.

This would not cause an ordinary `git pull' or `git merge' would
understand the correspondence.  You would have to use a different
command.  However, once you accept the need to use a different command,
it won't be any more work.
the effect would be the same: you could easily
merge changes in either direction.

--
Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation