Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Parabola GNU/Linux

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Parabola GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 21:33:05 -0800

Joshua Ismael wrote:

> Archlinux has an automatic building system in wich you
> provide some information and the script automatically
> build them.
>
> For Parabola GNU/Linux we provide scripts for deblobing
> while building so anyone can compile it's linux-libre kernel
> from the vanilla source.
>
> If the purpose is to provide the means to build a free
> kernel we already make this. Isn't this enough?

My understanding is that the existing free distros provide
already-deblobbed kernel source code for their users to get, instead of
having them download the original unmodified tarball from kernel.org.

My own personal opinion is that grabbing the corresponding linux-libre
tarballs and then fixing any distro-specific patches that don't cleanly
apply is a better choice.

It's a good question, though: Can a free distro have their users
download nonfree software and then go through the process to clean it up
later?