Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Parabola GNU/Linux

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Parabola GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 23:10:58 +0100

Karl Berry wrote:
Do other already-declared-free distros also not rename in these highly
visible places?

In gNewSense we rebrand at least the highly visible things in the standard desktop install, e.g. GRUB, usplash, GDM, Gnome, package manager. I think it's enough to fulfill FSDG.

I'm sure there are still a lot of places that show the string "Ubuntu", including parts of the file system hierarchy and package information. Changing all that would take a lot of work and system resources that's better spent on solving freedom bugs. Also, in many cases (like Maintainer field in package info) it's just facts.