Re: [Parabola] [GNU-linux-libre] Parabola GNU/Linux

From: Nicolás Reynolds
Subject: Re: [Parabola] [GNU-linux-libre] Parabola GNU/Linux
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 15:34:54 -0300

El 04/01/11 09:24, Jason Self dijo:
> Nicolás Reynolds wrote:
>
> > you hit a known bug on our repo that we're
> > working to solve.
>
> Ah; so including kernel26-2.6.36.2-1.src.tar.gz, with its non-free bits,
> is a bug. Good.  :)

that's correct.

> > our own build scripts are here [0], and kernel's is here [1], where you can
> > find that the linux sources are being deblobbed. isn't that sufficient?
>
> I think that modifying kernel26-libre/PKGBUILD and changing
>
> source=(http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-$_basekernel.tar.bz2
> source=(http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/download/releases/$_basekernel-libre.tar.bz2
>
> would be better, IMHO, since people then aren't downloading the non-free
> bits at all.

we prefer to add arch patches into it, but they're made for linux, not
linux-libre, so the deblob has to be made on build time.

how are other distros doing it?

the only problem i can find with this is that generating a source tarball will
include the unfree kernel tarball, because the deblob is made after obtaning
the sources, making us distribute unfree software. i'll look for a solution
asap (i'm the package maintainer).

--
Salud!
Nicolás Reynolds,