Re: [GNU-linux-libre] LibreWRT : A 100% FOSS GNU/Linux-libre Distro

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] LibreWRT : A 100% FOSS GNU/Linux-libre Distro
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:08:49 +0100

re all,

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011, risci_atom wrote:

> I would like to request that the gnu-linux-libre community review
> LibreWRT GNU/Linux-libre [0]. The LibreWRT project would like to get
> on the FSF's Approved Distro list, so I would like the community to
> review the distro before we request such an approval.

i didn't knew about this before, so far i always ended up running
openwrt on my devices.

i'm just now giving this librewrt a spin on a WL500gd at home.  the
distribution looks good: source distributed with a 'make menuconfig' a
la linux kernel, offers squashfs or jffs based installs.  this project
already has all my sympathy, looks pretty much targeted to experts
that like to use it for building a system and redistribute it, as a
toolkit for further development rather than a finished product, which
makes much more sense for a 100% free project IMHO.

but now i'm stuck at two problems:

1)
 the Asus WL500* devices have a BCM43x chip for the wireless which
 AFAIK is not free: the b43x driver needs a 'fwcutted' blob from the
 windoz drivers, while the broadcom-wl which seems to be redistributed
 by freewrt (downloaded via ipkg scripts) is proprietary.

2)
 a compilation problem right after make (excuse the long lines):
address@hidden ~/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3 >make V=99
/bin/bash /home/jrml/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3/scripts/scan-pkgs.sh
/home/jrml/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3/lbin/gmake -f mk/build.mk tools/install
toolchain/install target/compile package/compile root_clean package/install
target/install package_index
/home/jrml/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3/lbin/gmake -C tools install
cc -O2 -Isrc -I/home/jrml/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3/scripts -include
/home/jrml/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3/scripts/param.h -DLONG_OFF_T -D_STRLCPY_DEFNS
-o /home/jrml/src/WRT/freewrt_1_0_3/tools_build/paxmirabilis/pax strlfun.c
strmode.c fgetln.c src/ar_io.c src/ar_subs.c src/buf_subs.c src/cache.c
src/cpio.c src/file_subs.c src/ftree.c src/gen_subs.c src/getoldopt.c
src/options.c src/pat_rep.c src/pax.c src/sel_subs.c src/tables.c src/tar.c
src/tty_subs.c
src/options.c:78: error: conflicting types for 'getline'
/usr/include/stdio.h:651: note: previous declaration of 'getline' was here

hope this helps,
ciao!

--
 Jaromil, Frank Zappa look-alike,  http://jaromil.dyne.org