Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME license non-free

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME license non-free
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:30:16 +0200

Rubén Rodríguez wrote:
I thought MAME was an old-timer in Debian non-free (making it at
least suspicious), but apparently it only just got added.

It just entered Ubuntu universe with maverick, replacing sdlmame (which
was in multiverse). Maybe they are relaxing their policies a bit more.

Ubuntu component info [1] says that multiverse contains software that that does not meet the Ubuntu main component license policy [2]. This implies (and I think it's also explicitly stated on ubuntu.com somewhere) that universe software should meet main license policy. That policy says "must allow redistribution", including "your right to sell". So it seems like a bug to me.

It's annoying that Ubuntu doesn't publish any motivations for putting a package in a certain component or for moving it between components.

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/components
[2] http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/licensing