Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FSDG-issue in xdg-utils?

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FSDG-issue in xdg-utils?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:56:36 +0200

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:48:24 +1000
Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:

> It would be nice if you could say what browsers/where to find them, so
> we don't all have to go searching.

I didn't mention them because I saw that xdg-utils differs a lot on
various distros. E. g. in the original  version of /usr/bin/xdg-open
version I use there is the line

BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:$BROWSER

from which at least google-chrome is proprietary. So I replaced the
line with

 BROWSER=icecat:midori:xxxterm:epiphany:konqueror:$BROWSER

As far as I can tell this very line doesn't exist e. g. in Trisquel's
version of xdg-utils, but there may be other issues. For example I saw
this at my Trisquel box:

$ grep google /usr/bin/xdg-*
/usr/bin/xdg-settings:Set the default web browser to google-chrome.desktop
/usr/bin/xdg-settings:        xdg-settings set default-web-browser
google-chrome.desktop