Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FSDG-issue in xdg-utils?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] FSDG-issue in xdg-utils?
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 20:29:21 +1000

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:56:36 +0200
Henry Jensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:48:24 +1000
> Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if you could say what browsers/where to find them,
> > so we don't all have to go searching.
>
> I didn't mention them because I saw that xdg-utils differs a lot on
> various distros. E. g. in the original  version of /usr/bin/xdg-open
> version I use there is the line
>

> BROWSER=firefox:mozilla:epiphany:konqueror:chromium-browser:google-chrome:$BROWSER
>
> from which at least google-chrome is proprietary. So I replaced the
> line with
>
>  BROWSER=icecat:midori:xxxterm:epiphany:konqueror:$BROWSER
>
> As far as I can tell this very line doesn't exist e. g. in Trisquel's
> version of xdg-utils, but there may be other issues. For example I saw
> this at my Trisquel box:

Assuming its the same as in debian, its customised by [1] to use
sensible-browser instead.

[1] debian/patches/sensible-browser.diff

> $ grep google /usr/bin/xdg-*
> /usr/bin/xdg-settings:Set the default web browser to
> google-chrome.desktop /usr/bin/xdg-settings:        xdg-settings set
> default-web-browser google-chrome.desktop

Its from an embedded copy (all class...) of the man page. Its an
example of how to set the default browser. In this instance, I'd
suggest the correct fix is to make the references to chrome/firefox
point to free alternatives in the relevant doco.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)