Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox

From: Leo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Trademark licenses, example in Firefox
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 06:37:21 -0300

On Wednesday 03 August 2011 21:51:03 Diego Saravia wrote:
> > While projects like linux-libre and icecat are not the legal copyright
> > holder of the source isn't relevant to us; the licence they are
> > distributed under gives us the permission we need. (No one entity holds
> > all the copyright to Linux either).
>
> yes, nobody says that you dont have the right to distribute.
>
> the point is that what you distribute are not: "the sources"

You keep saying that word but I don't think you understand what it means.
Yes, they _are_ the sources of forked projects. The source of the branch, if
you will. If you want to be upstream, then start your own projects, make them
better than Linux and Firefox and people will use them. If you can pull that,
superb! I'll be thrilled, I'll get you a chocolate chip cookie and maybe even
a cup of milk to go along.
In the meantime, as long as the rest of us can get some usable free source
(regardless of where the source comes from or if we are a fork or upstream)
and distribute it following the 4 precepts of the free software definition
according to the FSF, that's good for us (at least it is for me).
Ideally I'd like Linux-libre and GNU IceCat to be the "father" projects of
Linux and Firefox. Ideally I'd like everybody using the libre versions instead
of the less-than-libre versions. Sadly, it is not an ideal world. Complaining
about Mozilla or Linux in this mailing list won't make the world any more
ideal. On the other hand, doing what Giuseppe or Alexandre do does benefit us.

> > Saying we don't have source code because we are not the originator of
> > the project is a logical fallacy.
>
> I am not speaking about "have", con can get the real sources, from
> original project.

Forking is one of the benefits of free software. And, yes, GNU IceCat and
Linux-libre are forks even if you don't consider them that. If you don't like
it or if you don't think that's beneficial, refer to my previous comment.
I may not use Firefox or Linux, but I'm thankful for the effort put behind
those projects because they allow us to have GNU IceCat and Linux-libre, which
are 100% free.

> > Not sure what you were getting at there.
>
> the true.

Your truth.

So, what I wonder is: besides pointing out the supposed elephant in the room,
what's the purpose of all your emails? What action do you propose should be
taken? Starting new projects when we already have 100% free projects seems
ridiculous to me. Do you have any other proposal or should we leave this
thread die? After all, the initial concern about trademarks has been addressed
and I'm replying to a hijack. If all you wanted was to show us your truth,
then I'll move along.

--
RMS Rose GNU/Linux-libre
http://rmsgnulinux.com.ar