Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:32:53 +0200

Hello Jason,

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
"Jason Self" <address@hidden> wrote:

Thanks for your remarks. You mentioned mainly some poor wordings at the
web site. I am with you on this, but not all members of our community
are very familiar with the appropriate wording.

However, the wording it is not completely controllable within a diverse
community. And as far as the FSDG and the Checklist at
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Free_System_Distribution_Checklist goes, it
is not mentioned, that it is a requirement to avoid certain phrases.

> I noticed that the website makes several references to ConnochaetOS as
> a "Linux" distribution, rather than GNU/Linux. One example is here [1] but
> there are others.

Ah yes, I change it to GNU/Linux whenever I encounter such a
reference.

> Also, is suggesting that people change their kernel to one with proprietary
> software something that should be suggested [2], even with the disclaimer
> that
> it's not recommended? If it's not recommended why even mention it?

You are right, this one I took serious and removed it.

> And... everything in ConnochaetOS is "open source"? It's also free software
> too
> I hope? http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Of course it should be "free software". It will be changed when
discovered.

BTW: I recently had a discussion on this one with some people from the
Free Software Foundation Europe, the FSF's sister organization in
Europe. Many people at the FSFE have a different point of view on this.

They prefer the term "free software" as well, but they believe that
"open source" and "free software" is the same and they don't think that
both "free software" and "open source" community have different goals.
So "free software" and "open source" are considered as the same
community at the FSFE. You see, the view on this topic is not
homogeneous in the Free Software Community itself.

Regards,

Henry