Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Request for Endorsement for ConnochaetOS
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 22:19:37 +0200

Hi Quiliro,

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 12:11:51 -0500
Quiliro Ordóñez <address@hidden> wrote:

> Richard said he is discussing this issue with FSFE. FSF does not support
> that position. In fact, FSF regards opensource software as something
> good but the opensource ideas as bad. It sounds contradictory but it
> isn't because some of what they do agrees with what we do but not all so
> the terms are not interchangeable.

Maybe things are a little different in America, but here in Europe the
terms are indeed interchangeable. Here is no such thing like a distinct
"open source movement". I never met an "open source activist" who said
"I am pro open source, but against free software" or vice versa.
Meanwhile I read about the history of the term "open source",
foundation of the OSI and the "schism" between "open source" and "free
software". Indeed I think, that this was a local american issue. It had
no effect here, because at the time it happended there was
practically no free software community in existence over here.

Regardless of this I still prefer "free software" because the term
"open source" is abused in some cases and therefore not clear. But I
don't see "open source" as an distinct movement. Another local example:
In a few month there will be a local exhibition called "OpenRheinRuhr",
see http://openrheinruhr.de/. The preamble says:

"Die OpenRheinRuhr ist eine Messe mit Kongress rund um das Thema "Freie
Software"." Translation:
"OpenRheinRuhr is an exhibition with a congress on the topic "free
software"." The FSFE participates at that exhibition. (Side note: I
participate in the call for papers and want to speak about Linux Libre.)

> > a member who uses the
> > term "open source" can always refer to the FSFE and say "Hey, the FSFE
> > said, it is okay when I say "open source"". Since 90 percent of our
> > community is living in Europe that would be a reasonable point and one
> > could hardly argue against that.
>
> Please get an official written statement from FSFE stating that. It
> would clear up things for all of us.

I think I linked such a statement from Matthias Kirschner earlier. He is
Fellowship Coordinator and the Coordinator of the German team of the
FSFE, so in a sense he is the local authority for the FSFE in Germany
and as such authorized to make official statements.

Source:
http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/fsfe-de/2010-December/002883.html