Re: [GNU-linux-libre] now that adbard is gone :^( the ad problem is back

From: Jaromil
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] now that adbard is gone :^( the ad problem is back
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:06:05 +0100

hi John,
thanks for your reply.

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, John Sullivan wrote:

> > is anyone from FSF still reading this list BTW? I've had little if
> > none interaction on the ads issue, not even a mail to roundup on the
> > adbard experience, we could learn from mistakes, contact Google on
> > that or so?  I even got some enterpreneur friends interested on the
> > topic...
>
> Yes, I read it, along with others here -- but if you want a direct
> reply from us, always surest to write to us directly. :)

OK. I did not mean to complicate the communication, but in the meanwhile
I've opened a bug regarding the issue on bugs.dyne.org so that more
people can read this story as it really is, rather than writing in
private. the bug points to this and another thread on this list.

To have too many lists to read is completely understandable.

> We wouldn't be the people to provide a roundup of the adbard issue,
> though. We helped promote the project and advised them, but in the end
> only they know what happened with the business.

I'd be very curious to ask, if you have contacts.

They have been extremely correct BTW and delivered all the money to
participants until the last cent and the very last day. I thought it was
an awesome initiative and I'm sure there can be investors interested in
something similar, my guess is that they have started by using a
problematic CMS backend when it comes to scalability and low latency.

> The money was still collected and will still be used for MediaGoblin.
> The fundraiser was different from Kickstarter in that sense.

ACK. is the FSF intentioned to discuss with this community about
possible new fund drives? how is the process of deciding the next one
unfolding and can be eventually accessible to us?
 (will there be a next one?)

thanks!
ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39