Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 23:02:25 -0500

Joshua Gay wrote:
I've thought a lot about this issue. Here are my thoughts and concerns
on the idea behind this project and on packaging and redistributing it.

First, thanks so much for your considerate view of things here. It's great to see someone at the FSF participate in the discussion and take an interest in emulators.

I agree that users will want to run emulators for a number of perfectly valid reasons, but I've been unable to find anything in the guidelines at https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html which uses those reasons as a rationale for concluding it's okay to distribute one's fork of MAME.

After reading your thoughts I'm left with the impression that inducing users to obtain proprietary software is still an important thing to avoid; the FSF's guidelines for free distros and https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/is-ever-good-use-nonfree-program.html also says this must be avoided. I also see that you're giving advice about distributing one's fork of MAME. Hence I have to ask: can an FSF-approved free software distribution distribute a renamed, trademark-removed variant of MAME and still qualify for being called an FSF-approved free software distribution?

Whatever the answer to that question, I hope that the guidelines for free software distros at https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html will be updated to help us understand the answer and rationale so we have something to point to when this issue comes up again and possibly avoid the confusion that led to this thread.

Depending on how this comes out, another essay https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/is-ever-good-use-nonfree-program.html should be considered for updating too because this essay also stresses the importance of not urging others to use nonfree software.

Thanks again for your input.