Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] MAME
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 10:21:56 -0400

On 04/01/2016 12:02 AM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> I agree that users will want to run emulators for a number of perfectly
> valid reasons, but I've been unable to find anything in the guidelines
> at https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
> which uses those reasons as a rationale for concluding it's okay to
> distribute one's fork of MAME.
>
> After reading your thoughts I'm left with the impression that inducing
> users to obtain proprietary software is still an important thing to
> avoid;

This is true. And, as far as I can tell, a user downloading a fork of
MAME will be downloading a free software program. So if the
documentation and the program do not steer users toward downloading
proprietary software, then there is no inducing users to obtain
proprietary software. There are also plenty of free software ROMs
available for MAME. If one recommends software to use with the fork of
MAME being distributed, then one should recommend only free software.

--
Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager  <http://www.fsf.org/licensing>